Top Ten Asian Food Blogs
1) Adventures in an Asian Food Market. Love Asian food, but feel a little overwhelmed every time you set foot inside the vast Asian food store? If you have ever suffered from "aisle fright" while shopping in a Japanese food store, let blog author Deatren act as your Asian food insider, fearlessly trying all the Asian snacks on the shelf and reporting back on his favorites. Covering everything from disposable chopsticks to Japanese snacks and beverages, this blog is updated regularly with great candid reviews and clear pictures, so check out this cheat sheet next time before you hit the Asian food store. Hint: you can also shop some Asian food stores online to avoid in-store anxiety.
2) Sticky Rice. From the vivid imagery to the disarming dialog, the best word to describe this Asian food blog is "colorful." Sharp wit and often hilarious insight are just two ingredients in this "man on the street" approach to eating out in Hanoi. Great pictures and information-packed posts finish off this feast for the eyes and funny bone. Sticky Rice is less of a guide to cooking Asian food recipes at home (although there are a few), and more of a foodie guide for the out-and-about Asian diner, so enjoy!
3) Rasa Malaysia. Translated from Sanskrit to mean "Taste Malaysia" this Asian food blog is an absolute scene-stealer when it comes to gorgeous photographs of Asian food recipes. Generously bestowing all the knowledge she learned in her childhood kitchen in Malaysia, the blog author chronicles generations of Malaysian recipes, as well as Chinese and Japanese, in a light-hearted, educational tone. In addition to much more professional polish than the average blog, Rasa Malaysia features 90% original recipes. Check out this Malaysian masterpiece to see for yourself.
4) Noodles and Rice. Every food blog round-up must include a beginner's guide, so here it is. Noodles and Rice is a faithful little cooking-for-one guide to making Asian food, perfect for people who want no-muss, no-fuss Asian food recipes. Billed as "bachelor food" by the author, this blog features frequent posts, plenty of recipes, food reviews and cooking short cuts for the culinary novice. Great read too!
5) The Gary Soup blog. Gary Soup is blog writing at its best, from fascinating subject matter to intelligent, entertaining prose. In addition to the standard fare of Asian food guidebook reviews and Chinese food recommendations, Gary Soup bestows awards to the top "Chinese food mavens", chronicles the ten most popular Chinese teas, and includes a blow-by-blow photo essay of Paris Hilton attempting to eat Asian food in Shanghai. Culture and cuisine intersect perfectly at this cozy little blogspot, so check it out!
5 More Great Asian Food blogs after the jump, so read on!
7) Sim Cooks. Written by a Singaporean transplant living in the Bay area of San Francisco, this blog is chalk-full of Asian food recipes for a variety of skill levels, focusing on cooking for one-to-four people. The Asian food recipes are really detailed and easy to follow, and there are many mouthwatering selections to choose from. This would be another great intro blog for learning about Asian food.
8) Chopstick Cinema. As the name implies, this blog has a very neat premise. Exploring the intersection between Asian food and Asian cinema, this is a great stop for dinner-and-a-movie ideas from the Asian perspective. Each month an Asian film is selected, and then Asian food recipes, beverages and even tips on how to stock your pantry with essentials from the Asian food store, abound. A clever idea that is wrought with many educational Asian food tidbits along the way, this blog is a unique must-read.
9) Hochiak! Delicious Asian Food. Welcome to the virtual kitchen of a lawyer who moonlights as an Asian food blogger-and a great one at that! This gem of a blog has good pictures, informative content, and more Asian food recipes than you could prepare in a lifetime. Ranging from simple to complex, there is something for everyone. Extra credit for the innovative ideas on what to do with the Asian food ingredients laying around in your fridge.
10) Just Hungry.This Asian food blog has a lovely, simplistic aesthetic that really allows the Asian food recipes to shine. Tasty meal ideas abound on this blog, complete with pretty pictures, clever substitutions, and tons of yummy-looking dessert ideas.