Celebrate Summer with Strawberry Pocky Cupcakes
This entry was posted on July 23, 2008.
Every summer we eagerly anticipate the arrival of strawberries. Now that we can find them in the produce section, it's time to put the berries to work. But we're sick of shortcake. This time, we sweeten the strawberry with our favorite Japanese snack -- Strawberry Pocky.
Strawberries are a cute fruit, hence their popularity in those Hello Kitty snacks. The only thing more adorable than a strawberry? A Strawberry Pocky cupcake! Here's how to make 12 Strawberry Pocky cupcakes for your next barbecue or birthday party.
- 10 tablespoons butter, room
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 1 3/4 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh
- Strawberry frosting
- 12 fresh strawberries for decoration
- Strawberry Pocky (Original Strawberry Pocky, Strawberry Pocky Bits, or Giant Strawberry Pocky)
- Preheat the oven to 325
degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease 12 cupcake pan cups or line with paper
- In a large bowl, cream
together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one
at a time, then stir in the strawberry extract. Combine the self-rising
flour and salt; stir into the batter just until blended. Fold in the strawberries. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups and divide evenly.
- Bake until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in
the pan set over a wire rack. When the cupcakes are cool, frost with desired strawberry frosting.
- When cupcakes are ready to serve, slice the strawberries and fan them over the cupcake as shown. Then, break one Strawberry Pocky stick in half and poke each stick into the cupcake.
Now it's time to get creative with your cupcakes. Sprinkle coconut flakes or red candy over the top. Strawberry addicts can wash these cupcakes down with a bottle of Strawberry Ramune soda. If you don't have time to make these Pocky cupcakes, satisfy your sweet tooth with Japanese snacks and candy available at Asianfoodgrocer.com.
Pocky Cupcake Photo Credit to: cupcakeninja.net