Chang's Hot & Sour Soup
Prep Time: Minutes
Cook Time: Minutes
Hot & Sour soup is a thick soup that is filled with strips of chewy woodear mushrooms, slices of soft tofu, and tons of other delicious tidbits. It also lives true to its name because of the spicy red pepper sauce and tart vinegar that is in every drop.
- 1 tbsp Woodear Strips (soaked in water for 4 hours)
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms (sliced)
- 5 oz Bean Curd (cut 1 inch slices)
- 1/2 cup Bamboo Shoots
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 4 1/2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 3/4 tsp White Pepper
- 3/4 tsp Chinese Red Hot Pepper Sauce
- 10 tbsp Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch (blended with 4 tbsp of water)
- 1/2 cup Pork (thin strips)
- 3-4 each Beaten eggs
- 10 cups Chicken broth
- Green Onions for Garnish (chopped, if desired)
- 1. Heat chicken broth to boiling. Add pork strips, bamboo shoots, Woodear (drained), bean curd, and mushrooms.
- 2. Return to boiling and add salt, soy sauce, sugar, white pepper, red pepper sauce, and vinegar, stirring all along.
- 3. Continue boiling for a total cooking time of 20 mins. Stir in cornstarch mixture and keep stirring until soup is thickened.
- 4. Pour beaten eggs gently over the top. Turn off the heat and stir eggs gently into soup.
- 5. Add sesame oil. Spoon into bowls and serve topped with chopped green onions if desired.