Green Tea Fried Ice Cream
Prep Time: Minutes
Cook Time: Minutes
This is a fantastically unique way to enjoy ice cream. Deep frying ice cream may sound impossible but it's fairly easy to do and makes for a very rewarding experience. With a crunchy warm exterior, and the delicious interior of green tea ice cream, this is a recipe you can't pass up.
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Ice Cold Water
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups Vegetable Oil
- 1 pint Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1/2 oz Matcha Green Tea
- 1. Soften the ice cream and add the matcha powder in small amounts, mix thoroughly. Then refreeze the ice cream for 60 minutes.
- 2. Once the green tea ice cream is ready, scoop it out into even balls and place them evenly spaced on a plate or small sheet pan. Make sure that they don’t touch each other.
- 3. Once ice cream is portioned out, place the pan on a flat surface in the freezer and let it sit in the freezer for 1 hour exposed. While waiting, pour the oil into a deep-fat fryer or a heavy-bottomed stockpot. Heat the oil on medium-high heat. Temperature is approximately 400 degrees.
- 4. In a medium bowl mix the flour and baking soda together. Beat the egg in a small bowl as it is just beginning to froth and bubble.
- 5. Add the ice-cold water and vanilla extract to the egg mixture and mix well.
- 6. Combine the egg and flour mixtures and whisk them thoroughly.
- 7. Take out your frozen ice cream balls and dip one into the batter. Cover the ice cream with the batter evenly. Carefully ease the battered ice cream into the hot oil by using kitchen tongs or a slotted spoon.
- 8. Fry the ice cream for approximately 15 to 30 seconds, until the tempura batter has turned golden. Take out the tempura-fried ice cream and serve immediately with some powdered sugar