Mackerel in Miso Sauce
Prep Time: Minutes
Cook Time: Minutes
This recipe calls for scrumptious mackerel. The fish is prepared in a fish stock that is flavored with ingredients like ginger, onions, and sake. A little bit of soy sauce and red miso is added for flavor, and it all allows for a delicious and delicately textured meal.
- 14 oz Mackerel (fillet)
- 1/2 oz Ginger Root
- 4 Spring Onions
- 3 oz Sake
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Red Miso
- 1. Cut the fillets in 1” in width, and then slit the skin. Marinate the fish with a bit of salt for 10 minutes.
- 2. Place the cut fillets in a colander and cleanse with boiling water.
- 3. Boil rice wine (sake), fish stock and soy sauce, and then cover with aluminum foil. Set it on low heat for 5 minutes.
- 4. Water down the miso by adding a little soy sauce. Cover it over the fish then cook for 2 minutes. Occasionally stir or move the pan to avoid burning the miso. Add the onion then boil stock.
- 5. Remove fillets from stock then pour the sauce with onions over the fillets and sprinkle with grated ginger.